The best TV streaming stick for under $50

Media streaming boxes now come in stick form — and they’re better (and cheaper) than ever. What’s the best streaming stick or tiny box you can buy for less than $50? Subscribe: http://goo.gl/G5RXGs

Check out our full video catalog: http://goo.gl/lfcGfq
Visit our playlists: http://goo.gl/94XbKx
Like The Verge on Facebook: http://goo.gl/2P1aGc
Follow on Instagram: http://goo.gl/7ZeLvX
Read More: http://www.theverge.com

27 thoughts on “The best TV streaming stick for under $50

• December 18, 2016 at 12:02 am

What's the music in the background ?

• December 18, 2016 at 4:48 am

even though it's not native, you could just cast your screen while on the Amazon app so that point is a little moot.

• December 18, 2016 at 10:16 am

really nice looking video and motion graphics.
    but just like all the other comments on here, the Chromecast is waaaay better.

• December 19, 2016 at 5:28 am

god, what a shitty guide

• December 20, 2016 at 1:36 am

Chromecast does not stutter, and its the only place to watch no official apps. Thats the best option, forget about those stupid voice things.

• December 20, 2016 at 2:20 am

well presented, beautifully produced video

but the content is very poor – the picks and rationale behind them is vague, illogical and verging (see what i did there) on nonsensical

• December 21, 2016 at 2:04 am

Huh? So I get this and I can watch tv for free?

• December 23, 2016 at 1:15 am

The Amazon FireTV stick has the most painfully bad interface paradigm it's been my misfortune to experience. The whole, look at the TV, and use the app on your phone blind, thing is just stupid. The fact that you can call up a keyboard, type something, and it does nothing unless you have first navigated to the search function on the TV is just insane. For the love of God. Why?!?!?

The Chromecast by comparison is Simplicity itself, my 5yo operates it with ease, he dumps YouTube to it when the tablet is running out of power, and often pulls his content back off the TV when moving into the kitchen. You can cast your entire screen, browser tabs, etc. All the controls are on your phone, etc. It just works.

I have Amazon Prime, but the FireTV interface is so painfuly bad that I never watch Prime video as getting it to do anything with the app is like pulling teeth. No, just No!

• January 5, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Why does my Fire Stick UI is not the same as in the video? Is it a new update or only available for the latest generation?

• January 10, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Amazon doesn't want to play nice with the other companies! They want you locked in their eco system where they charge more for the same content that can be found cheaper on Google Play or ITunes!

• January 18, 2017 at 2:39 am

Chrome cast is whats up. Yeah there are downsides, but when I travel I always bring it. I throw it in my bag and have my content on any hotel TV or where ever

• January 30, 2017 at 3:27 am

if you're getting it for an old person or non-tech person,I think it is better to get the ones with their own remote, my mother just barely knows how to use her smartphone, n she struggles so hard using chromecast sometimes,
    for me, I just love chromecast, so fast n easy to use, plus the google signature that I love

• March 27, 2017 at 8:04 am

You need to activate this series again

• March 30, 2017 at 10:27 am

i refuse to believe that she can afford that house while doing videos for verge

• June 4, 2017 at 7:25 am

chromecast is the best. just a biased review from apple fanboy.

• December 12, 2017 at 4:37 am

The other thing that sets the Amazon FireTV Stick apart is that it won't have YouTube, come 2018, which is why I'm watching this. I own four Sticks and a 2nd gen TV, and YouTube is among the apps I use most. So, if I can't sideload it, after New Year, I'm selling my Amazons and

• January 5, 2018 at 3:11 pm

So do any of these actually pick up tv channels or is it only streaming services like Netflix or Hulu?

• January 20, 2018 at 7:26 pm

So it's been over a year since a this my next episode came out…… WTF happened?